What to Expect During Your Dental Exam
What to Expect in a Dental Exam
Most people are familiar with a typical dental exam. It’s important to visit a dentist on a regular basis to ensure that your teeth are healthy, and to maintain good oral health. Most professionals recommend dentist visits twice a year to keep up with your oral health, even if you don’t have any symptoms of dental issues. That being said, if you are experiencing any tooth sensitivity, swollen gums, pain, or other symptoms, it’s a good idea to make your way to the dentist sooner.
Your Dental Exam
While every dental office that you visit can be slightly different, here’s what you can expect from a typical dental exam:
- Medical history: Typically you will be asked about your recent medical history at the beginning of your exam. This helps your dentist evaluate your overall oral health.
- X-rays: To further review your oral health and the condition of your teeth, your dentist or hygienist will often take x-rays. X-rays are required once a year to ensure that your dental professional can properly keep track of any issues.
- Cleaning: At a regular exam, you can expect a dental cleaning from a hygienist. This is a deep cleaning process, and it is more extensive than your daily oral hygiene habits, so it’s important to get regular professional cleanings.
- Evaluation: Your dentist will evaluate your x-rays and your mouth to see if any fillings or other treatments are needed. This is when you’ll discuss treating any cavities or root canals that have popped up since your last visit.
- Treatment: If further treatment is needed, you will either schedule another appointment to continue, or if possible, begin treatment during your initial appointment.
All dental exams can vary based on the condition of the patient. Many common issues are difficult to detect without visiting a dentist, so regular exams are vital towards preventing extreme problems, and towards staying healthy!
Dental Exam Rocky River
At Linda Rak Canepa DDS Family Dentistry, we are proud to offer preventative care and exams to our patients to help ensure a prolonged oral health! If you have any questions about what you can expect for your dental exam in Rocky River, or if you’d like to schedule your first appointment, our experienced team is always happy to help. Give us a call today at (440) 331-9969 or send an email!